WysAdvice

WysAdvice

Monday, September 22, 2014

The Beauty of Olive Oil (and all its dirty little secrets)



Did you know that olive oil fights wrinkles? How about that it can be used as a sunblock?

I am a huge advocate of using olive oil on your skin and hair. It may sound strange just because when you think of olive oil all you think of is using it in the kitchen. Now you have other uses for that huge bottle of olive oil you probably purchased at Costco just because it was such a great deal. 



Extra Virgin Olive Oil plays so much into the beauty industry you would be shocked. Many of the best $200 bottles of wrinkle creams have olive oil in the ingredients and you probably never even realized it. 
 I've been swearing by this stuff for years and without exception every single time I've told someone that I put olive oil on my face and in my hair regularly they laugh, make some joke about smelling like food and continue to think I'm crazy for using it the way I do.
  The thing that they don't know is extra virgin olive oil has up to 83% oleic acid in its composition which means it is able to penetrating the outermost layer of the skin to help heal whats underneath.
  This "liquid gold" as many people call it contains  antioxidants like polyphenols, vitamin E, A, K, D and B complex, Squalene (also used in cosmetics) and other nutrients. It is 100% natural, non-toxic & hypoallergenic.
  To go back into more detail about the oleic acid it has in it, this alone helps to heal the damages, to improve skin tissue and color, to reduce lines and wrinkles.
  On top of that, olive oil offers sun protection and will reduce the risk of skin cancer. But make sure that you use EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil (Refined olive oil has lost most of its antioxidants in the refining process so all it would be good for is cooking).

The Ways To Use It:

1.  ON YOUR FACE. 
    I personally take about a teaspoon of olive oil and rub it all over my face (try not to get it in or near your eyes. I experience a little burning or irritation but that may only be my type of reaction to it and not affect you at all).  Then once its in just leave it on and let it soak into your skin, I would advise to leave it on for at least a few hours.
       I usually like to put it on at night, lay a towel over my pillow so there's no mess and then sleep with it on. When I wake up in the morning I wash my face and get off any excess oil and my face looks and feels moisturized, smooth, healthy and like I took at least 6 months to a year off the age of my face.  If you do not feel like keeping it on overnight then simply just leave it on for a few hours during the day, wash afterwards and go on about your day. 

2. IN YOUR HAIR.  
   To stimulate hair growth I like to take a teaspoon or two of olive oil flip my head upside down and massage the olive oil into the roots of my hair. I'll then leave my head flipped for a few minutes to let it soak down the strands of my hair. (Flipping your head upside down is not necessary, you can still do this without that step. I just like to do it so that the oil goes down the strands of hair equally). After doing that I will just let it sit in my hair for at least 15-20 minutes then wash out. This helps promote hair growth and strength. 
    Another option to help strengthen and repair your hair. At night I will put the extra virgin olive oil all throughout my hair, basically soaking my hair. I either put on a shower cap or just lay a towel down over my pillows and sleep through the night. In the morning, your hair will have soaked up a lot of the oil however you will still need to wash it out. I like to shampoo twice only because my hair is pretty thin and so if there is still oil left in my hair it will be laying flat and look oily all day. However after rinsing you will notice how smooth and shiny your hair is. Even throughout the day it will maintain that look. 


  I try to be pretty consistent with the treatments I do. Typically I put the olive oil on my face 1 or 2 times a week, just depending on how busy my week is.  And for the hair I do it 1 or 2 times a month. I recommend if your hair and skin is in some major help do these more often I simply just do these regimens to maintain what I have. 

   If you still are unsure about it, at least give it a try. Try it for a month and see how you feel about it afterwards. I was skeptical too when I first learned about the wonders of olive oil but now I can't live without my BIG bottle of extra virgin olive oil.

Good Luck and Enjoy Smelling Like Food!


                                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment